Research Fellow at The Japan Institute of International Affairs.
- Politics, society and history of the Middle East
- Youth culture in the Middle East (media, cinema, marriage and family, etc.)
- US diplomatic policy toward the Middle East
|1996||B.A. in History, Waseda University (Tokyo)|
|1998||M.A. in History, Keio University (Tokyo)|
|2005||M.A. in Sociology, Eastern Michigan University (US)|
|2007||Ph.D. in History, Keio University (Tokyo)|
|1998-2000||Cultural Attaché, Embassy of Japan in Iran|
|2005-2007||Coordinator and Specialist for the Middle East, Japan Foundation|
|2007-2009||Cultural Attaché, Embassy of Japan in Syria|
|April 2009 –- March 2013||Research Associate, Organization for Islamic Area Studies, |
|April 2009 –- March 2012||Part-time Lecturer, Keio University|
|April 2013 –- present||Research Fellow, The Japan Institute of International Affairs|
|April 2013 –- present||Adjunct Researcher, Organization for Islamic Area Studies, |
- Nationalism and the Tehran Bazaar: The Oil Nationalization Movement in Iran in the 1950s, Keio University, 2007 (in Japanese).
- "The Bazaaris’ Political Role during Mosadeq’s Government," Annals of Japan Association for Middle East Studies (Japan Association for Middle East Studies), 18-1, 2003 (in Japanese with English summary).
- “The Arab-American Community in Detroit: The Case of Dearborn," Orient, 48-1, 2005 (in Japanese).
- “Development of the Animation Industry in Syria," Journal of Middle Eastern Studies (The Middle East Research Institute of Japan), 506, 2009 (in Japanese).
- “Organizations and Social Movements in the Tehran Bazaar after World War II,” Journal of Islamic Area Studies (Organization for Islamic Area Studies), Vol. 3, 2011 (in Japanese).
- “Protest Events in the Tehran Bazaar during the Oil Nationalization Movement of Iran,” Annals of Japan Association for Middle East Studies (Japan Association for Middle East Studies), 28-1, 2012.
- “Japan-Iran Relations: From the Silk Road to Oil Tankers,” Gulf Asia Research Bulletin, Gulf Research Center, No. 7, 2014, pp. 18-20.
- “New Power Struggles after the Geneva Interim Agreement on the Iranian Nuclear Program,” AJISS- Commentary, The Association of Japanese Institutes of Strategic Studies, No. 193, pp. 1-5. http://www2.jiia.or.jp/en_commentary/201403/19-1.html
- Mari Nukii and Ryuichi Sugiyama, eds., Post-Revolutionary Iranian Cinema and Society, (Organization for Islamic Area Studies, Waseda University, 2014 (in Japanese).
- “Protest Events in the Tehran Bazaar during the Oil Nationalization Movement in Iran,” World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies (WOCMES), Barcelona, Spain, July 2010.
- “The History of the Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services: Living as 'Arab Americans’ in America before and after 9/11," Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies in Japan: The State of the Art, Beirut Seminar at Japan Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Beirut, Lebanon, organized by the Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, December 2012.
- “Hassan Rouhani's Victory in Iran’s 11th Presidential Election and the New Power Struggle,” World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, WOCMES Ankara 2014, August, Turkey.
- “American Foreign Policy and the August 1953 Coup d’Etat in Iran: Manipulation and Reflection of Iranian Public Opinion,” The German Middle East Studies Association for Contemporary Research and Documentation, DAVO, 2014.
Research Grants and Fellowships
|2003 - 2004||The Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship|
|2012 - 2014||Toyota Foundation Joint Research Grant |
“Interdisciplinary Research on Post-Revolutionary Iranian Cinema and Society: A Culture of Entertainment and Resistance under an Authoritarian Regime"
|May 11, 2013||Japan Association for Middle East Studies Research Award|
- Japan Association for Middle East Studies (JAMES)
- The Japanese Association for American History
- The Japanese Association for American Studies
- The Japanese Association for Migration Studies
- International Society for Iranian Studies